Taboo contents are hot subjects that can attract people to read and invite search engine crawlers and spiders to hang on. But some people considered them not healthy subjects or topics to discuss. Should you still insist to write them?
"Three young boys ages ten, eleven and twelve raped a 70 year old woman". Does the title disclose about taboo contents? The heading does not tell yet about the rape scene. However, if I described the rape scene exactly what has happened from the rapists' view point, the story would come as 100% taboo. It is said that taboo challenges one'sfree speech and individual rights to express a subject or issue in need to be addressed.
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias define Taboo as any of the negative traditions, objects, or behaviors generally regarded as harmful to social welfare or something that is forbidden by a society as unacceptable or improper.
Taboo subjects that according to some experts should be avoided. The below are some taboo subjects to be avoided such as:
- Rape - Until now there are people unhappy to read stories which feature a sexual assault or which has rape as a central theme especially when it is written from the rapist's viewpoint.
- Prostitution - Anything that seems to glamorize prostitution will be frowned on and any story dealing with an underage prostitute may cause you headaches if you describe him/her in any sex act. It is illegal.
- Under Age Sex - Any story that deals with children being treated as objects of desire or being forced into sex is out and should not be discussed.
- Incest - Sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other or about the crime of making-love with a parent, child, sibling, or grandchild.
- Phone Sex Lines - They are also considered as taboo even though they are dealt with in a humorous way.
- Promiscuity - The state or quality of being promiscuous. In human sexual behavior, it denotes sex with relatively many partners.
- Fetishism - It deals about an object believed to have supernatural powers, or in particular, a man-made object that has power over others or the practice of using an inanimate object as the focus of sexual pleasure.
- AIDS - This is also considered as taboo contents. Many people are still uncomfortable to read stories about the subject maybe because some people do not fully understand the condition and still scared by reading about it.
- Stalking - Avoid advocating stalking or describing a man lustfully watching his prey undressing or telling the story in a manner through the eyes of the stalker.
- Drugs - This is one of the big taboos. Whatever your own personal views - still many people are vehemently opposed to drug-taking in any form.
- Child Abuse - No matter how beautifully and meaningfully you wrote the story it is still regarded as taboo. Avoid having a story where an innocent friendship grows between a child and an older man or woman. It will be viewed with suspicion.
- Unmarried Mothers - Avoid writing articles dealing with unmarried mothers. Some people still regarded them as forbidden subjects.
Living in Sin - This falls into the same category as unmarried mothers. Some people will still be unhappy about the thought of a couple cohabiting who
- Divorce - Some people are still uncomfortable to read stories about divorce or the split up a marriage.
- The Disabled - This is also considered as taboo by some people.
- Homosexuality - Avoid story describing homosexual love making. Many people still believed that this can cause grave offence.
- Social Irresponsibility - This is also regarded as taboo especially if your story is telling about irresponsible and scandalous behavior of people.
- Violence - This is another of the great taboos especially if against women. It is a big no.
- Domestic Violence - Anything that describes domestic violence in any emotionally moving or disturbing way is likely to run into problems such as wife-beating, mysterious black eyes and girlfriends fleeing to refuges.
- Poverty - Some people considered it as depressing. The truth hurts.
- Old People - This is also considered as taboo.
- Minority Groups - Avoid portraying members of minority groups.
- Using Black as a Symbol of Evil or Depression - Some people claim that this has all sorts of sinister and racist connotations.
- Criminals - People do not want criminals to benefit from their crimes. And there are people uncomfortable to read stories advocating criminals.
- Swearing - This is one of the biggest taboos of all!
My personal opinion: I think we can still write those taboo topics provided that our intentions are to clear the issues and to protect the victims. Because if nobody will stand to discuss issues, crimes, violence and etc., the world will be full of mess and madness!
Visit also The Truth of The Matter is I Love Wikinut
If you wanted to write and earn Join ExpertsColumn Community. It is one of the best publishing sites for your online writing.
My favorite Saying: “Dream big and don’t stop without giving it a chance to come true.” I am a father of 3 for 25 years +, OFW for 17 years , a Blogger, sometimes a Poet, Self-motivated and Professional by experience. You can call me Paul or Pruel. I am friendly animal but can kick you off when it is needed. LOL. I have no specific areas where my writing will focus on. I write any subject that interests me under the merciless sun.