If flaming could not be avoided between members, my best say and only suggestion is “Say Sorry”. Flaming in the net occurs when someone attacked the person, insulted him personally, or criticized the person who authored the article. However, if someone has criticized the ideas and only the ideas injected by the author in his article, it’s not flaming and it is normal.
For the past ten years being a member to some Internet forum groups, I had noticed that flaming or bashing between members is happening. Some of the members are posting deliberately hostile messages without the awareness of otherpeople’s feelings. Now many of forum groups owners and its moderators have agreed and work together to apply some forum rules and policies to be followed by its members. And who ever ignored its rules will be banned from accessing the forum. Some would be banned for few days, weeks, a month or would be kicked off from the forum permanently.
The reason why I liked forum groups is that I can share my articles which are open for critiques. Some of the members are sharing their honest suggestions how to improve my articles. But there are times I received comments not actually criticizing the idea I injected to my works but directly insulting my personality or my credibility as the author. However, I just ignored them and thought that maybe they missed to read the forum rules.
Speaking of forum rules and policies – I noticed that they are common to all of forum groups and other e-groups I have gone through such as:
- Members are not allowed to post defamatory, obscene, threatening, profane and hateful messages. The Admin or Moderators will ban members or offending posters.
- Commenting may include grammar correction. It may also focus on form and technicalities. Members should take all these constructively.
- All criticisms should be taken constructively believing that there are no good or bad articles and no wrong or right comments. The important thing is that, if the author wished to send his articles to other publishing sites at least they are already polished.
- Members should justify their criticisms too, explaining their reasons when they note an article’s weaknesses. As much as possible, members should make suggestions on how to improve the article instead of just pointing out its weaknesses.
- Members should avoid criticisms which may only offend but do not help the author in improving the article. Example: “This article is rubbish.”
- Comments which taunt, show contempt, disrespect or personally attack the author are not allowed. Members who make such comments will be penalized accordingly.
- Discussions or debates like social issues and current events are allowed but should be done with respect among concerned members. Personal arguments among members are not tolerated and are subject to disciplinary action.
To read my previous article visit Is It Lawful to Involve Fraud to Our Awesome Writing Hobby
If you want to write and earn Join ExpertsColumn Community. It is one of the best publishing sites for your online writing.
My favorite Saying: “Dream Big and don’t stop without giving it a chance to come true.” I am a father of 3 for 25 years, OFW for 17 years , a Blogger, sometimes a Poet, Self-motivated and Professional by experience. You can call me Paul or Pruel. I am friendly animal but can kick you off when it is needed. LOL. I have no specific areas where my writing will focus on. I write any subject that interests me under the merciless sun.